Woman Doctor Bikes 300 Kilometers to Be Back to Work

 February 14, 2020
Woman Doctor Bikes 300 Kilometers to Be Back to Work
Gan Ruyi tests blood samples in the laboratory. [China Women's News]


Gan Ruyi, a post-1995 female doctor working in the laboratory of a health center of Jiangxia District, Wuhan City, in Central China's Hubei Province, has recently been known to many Internet users for her courageous action of rushing back to work by riding almost 300 kilometers on a bicycle for four days.

When the outbreak started, Gan was on annual leave at her hometown in Matou Village, Gong'an County in Hubei, which is more than 300 kilometers away from Wuhan.

Considering that there was a shortage of medical workers in her workplace, Gan decided to go back to respond to the emergence situation.

"She is just such a person," said Li Gaojie, Gan's classmate at the Hubei College of Chinese Medicine. She was not surprised at all when reading the news about Gan.

"Gan is shy and quiet, and talks little," Li said. "But she is very persistent in doing things. Being tenacious, she does the things she thinks right and does them really well."

"The epidemic is in a serious situation, and some villagers might feel panic even if they just catch a cold. However, the department only has two staff, including me," Gan explained. "My colleague, 58, had been working alone in the department since the 29th of the twelfth month of the lunar year (January 23) for many days. If I go back to work, I can test more villagers and get them relieved, and reduce her workload."

The road closure caused by the lockdown of Wuhan to contain the spread of the virus posed a challenge for Gan, as there was no public transportation for her to get to Wuhan.

"It doesn't matter, I'm going by bike," she said.

Born in the countryside, Gan used to ride a dozen kilometers from the village to school in junior high school, which gave her the confidence to believe riding could be a feasible means of transport at such a special period.

With a work permit and a temporary pass, Gan set off on the morning of January 31, carrying a little food and wearing a thick coat.

Riding alone for four days and three nights, she managed to arrive at the workplace at 6 pm, February 3, after experiencing a lot of difficulties and hardships. 

"When I had no idea of where to go and how to find the way, I told myself to keep going. Going ahead, I would eventually arrive at the destination," Gan said.

Although feeling exhausted and having difficulty in walking due to sore and painful legs, Gan began working the next day and tested more than 20 blood samples on a daily basis.

"I am aware of the lack of medical staff at the grassroots hospitals, so I am willing to join hands with peers across the country to fight against the epidemic," said Gan. "I believe the solidarity of medical workers will eventfully defeat the disease."


(Source: China Women's News/Translated and edited by Women of China)


Please understand that womenofchina.cn,a non-profit, information-communication website, cannot reach every writer before using articles and images. For copyright issues, please contact us by emailing: website@womenofchina.cn. The articles published and opinions expressed on this website represent the opinions of writers and are not necessarily shared by womenofchina.cn.