The All-China Women's Federation (ACWF), founded in April 1949, is a people's organization that unites women of all ethnic groups and from all walks of life in China, and strives for their further emancipation and development. As a people's organization under the leadership of the Communist Party of China (CPC), it serves as a bridge linking the party and the government with women and as an important social pillar of the state power. Its fundamental tasks are to establish links with and serve women, while its main responsibilities are to represent and safeguard women's rights and interests, and to promote gender equality and women's all-round development.
The highest power organ of women's federation is the National Women's Congress (NWC) and the ACWF's Executive Committee elected by NWC. NWC is convened every five years.
During the 12th NWC held in Beijing from October 30 to November 2, 2018. Shen Yueyue was elected as President of ACWF and Huang Xiaowei was elected as Vice-President and First Member of the Secretariat of ACWF.
Women's federations in China are established at the national, local and primary levels. Women's federations also practice group membership. There are 685,000 women's federations at six levels with 4,980 group members, and over 7.8 million executive members. Women's federations have set up 853,000 “Women's Homes” nationwide. Thus, the organizational structure of women's federations has been shaped.
1. To organize and lead women to learn and implement Xi Jinping Thought on socialism with Chinese Characteristics for a New Era and the lines, principles and policies of CPC, and to unite women with a shared aspiration of socialism with Chinese characteristics.
2. To unite and mobilize women to dedicate to reform and opening-up and the socialist economic, political, cultural, social and ecological drive; to give full play to women's unique roles in social and family life; and to encourage them to make contributions to the great practice of socialism with Chinese characteristics.
3. To represent women to take part in the management of state, economic, cultural and social affairs; in democratic decision-making, administration and supervision; in the formulation of relevant laws, regulations, rules and policies; in social management and public services; to promote the implementation of laws and policies on the protection of women's rights and interests and the implementation of national programs for women and children's development.
4. To safeguard the legitimate rights and interests of women and children, listen to their opinions, make their voices heard, put forward relevant recommendations to government departments at all levels, request and assist government departments or institutions to conduct investigations on violation of women and children's rights and provide necessary assistance to victims.
5. To educate and lead women to cultivate self-respect, self-confidence, self-reliance and self-improvement; to improve their overall competence and realize all-round development; to advocate Marxist theory on women; to promote the implementation of the basic state policy of equality between men and women; to build a social environment conducive to women's development in all aspects; to commend outstanding female role models; and to nurture and recommend talented women.
6. To educate and guide women to observe core socialist values, promote fine Chinese traditional culture; to launch campaigns to advocate and carry forward Chinese family virtues, support family education; and to nurture fine family cultures.
7. To care about women's work and life, enhance services for them, innovate service modes and build service fields; to develop public welfare programs; to increase the number of female volunteers; to step up the building of “women's Homes”; to establish links with women-focused social organizations and to work with all sectors of the society to improve services for women, children and family.
8. To consolidate and expand the unity of women of all ethnic groups and from all walks of life; to strengthen communication and cooperation with women and women's organizations in Hong Kong and Macao Special Administrative Regions (SAR) and in Taiwan, as well as with overseas Chinese women and women's groups; to promote China's modernization and peaceful reunification.
9. To conduct friendly exchanges with women and women's organizations around the world, deepen mutual understanding, enhance friendship and promote cooperation; to take an active part in the Belt and Road Initiative; to promote the building of a community with a shared future for mankind; and to make contributions to world peace and common development.